License Renewal

Specifically for Maryland Driver’s Licenses

Driver’s License Renewal for Maryland State

From the MVA:

How do I renew my license or obtain a duplicate or corrected license/ID card when I am outside of Maryland?

Contact the MVA Absent from State Unit at 410-768-7442. You can also directly contact the MVA’s Absent from State Unit by letter, fax (410-787-2988), or e-mail.

The Absent from State Unit will mail you a packet of information and forms for you to complete.

Carefully follow the instructions and return the completed forms to them.
Be sure to sign the forms where required.
Upon receipt of your application, the Absent from State Unit will verify that you are eligible and then mail the license or ID card to your out-of-state address.

A valid/current Medical Examiner’s Certificate (DOT card) (and Intrastate waiver/Interstate exemption, if required) MUST be provided for all MVA Commercial Driver’s License transactions. See CDL Medical/Physical Requirements for more information.

You may need to fax in a letter documenting the reason for out-of-state renewal. The free MyFax service can be used to do this from overseas, but include the following information:

  • Type of document needed:
  • Full name:
  • Driver’s License #:
  • Date of Birth:
  • Maryland address:
  • Out of state address:
  • Daytime phone number:


Photo by State Farm