Those of us who use portable apps on our USB drives often run into the following problem: when using another PC, the shortcuts often don’t work anymore.
To work around this issue, use relative paths for shortcuts. To create this, follow the directions from Deano.me:
- Create a shortcut to the program.
- Right click and go to “Properties” on the shortcut.
- Modify the “Target” path to add “%windir%\explorer.exe” followed by the relative path to your program (i.e. %windir%\explorer.exe “PortableFirefox/Firefox.exe”)
- Delete anything in the “Start in” field and leave it blank. This forces explorer to use the current folder as the base of operations.
- Save or Apply and test the shortcut.
This should make it much easier for those of us with portable toolkits.